Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Riddle 2 revisisted (English Version)

3 people were get caught in the prison. Each of them is assigned into one room. The duty office said: I have 5 caps in total, 3 Whites and 2 Blacks. You'll be given a cap in random. If you think your cap is WHITE, you can leave the room safely. If your cap is black, you'll be prosecuted as soon as you leave this room."

3 of them took the cap and started to look at each other. After a long while, 3 of them left the room safely. Deduce the logic, how and why do they know that their own cap is white?

Limitation: 3 of them were assigned into 3 rooms with transparent partition: one can see the colour of the caps of the other 2 but not his own. They are not allowed to communicate to each other, as well as the duty officer. No sign language or body language is allowed.

Hint: consider this question in case by case elimination.

1 comment:

starry_knight said...

I like this riddle the most. When I first heard this riddle was around 5 years ago and I took about 10 minutes to solve it. I am impressed by the solution when I solved it and till now I still feel impressive for the solution.

The crucial point to solve it is we need to change our frame of reference to another person. Sounds familiar? Yup, this is the Golden Rule: Treat others as YOU want to be treated.

I searched a website, if not wrong it's Berkely website, it states the Platinum rule, which states: Treat others as THEY want to be treated.

I agree with Platinum rule. For Golden Rule, it maybe ethnocentric, people may not like the way we want to be treated. For example I like to drink coffee but my client doesn't. So it's no point to treat him coffee if he doesn't like and sometimes this may cause some conflict to happen.

In contrast, Platinum Rules serve better in humana relationships. However, one thing to note is that the pre-requisite of this rule first to understand the other party well before we treat them. How to understand and know them better? We have to know the arts of communication :)